Hi, everyone! Today I’m sharing a recipe for a yummy, easy, and healthy pasta salad I made this past weekend for a family cookout. It was a big hit! This recipe is gluten-free due to the fact that I used organic rice flour pasta. However, feel free to use whatever pasta you prefer!
- 2 12 oz. bags of pasta (I used Bionaturae Organic Gluten-Free Fusilli)
- 3 bell peppers (I used yellow, red and orange)
- 1 zucchini
- 1/2 of a red onion
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- olive oil
- red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup Light Italian salad dressing (optional)
- 2 cups of mozarella balls or sliced mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil and oregano
- Rinse and chop veggies to desired size. Place on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Place vegetables in oven using the broil/ grill setting. Watch veggies carefully to ensure they don’t burn! Depending on your oven, roasting the vegetables can take anywhere from 10-20 minutes. I took mine out of the oven after 15 minutes when they were a tiny bit charred and tender. 🙂
- While the vegetables are roasting, cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Allow vegetables and pasta to cool slightly. Rinse and chop fresh basil and oregano.
- Combine roasted veggies and pasta in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and red wine vinegar to taste. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper along with the chopped fresh herbs. Toss to coat.
- Refrigerate pasta salad for at least 2 hours or overnight. Before serving, add mozzarella and a drizzle of italian salad dressing if needed for additional flavor and moisture. Toss one more time and serve at room temperature.
- I used whatever vegetables I had on hand. Feel free to get creative. I think this would also be delicious with some yellow squash or green beans.
- Be sure to add the mozzarella after refrigerating the salad to prevent the cheese from melting.
- My sister tried the pasta salad before I added a bit of Italian dressing and said it was delicious. I also thought it was good but prefer a bit more flavor and moisture. It is all about personal preference!
- My mom taught me that pasta salad is best enjoyed at room temperature, so take it out of the fridge 10-15 minutes before serving.
Did you cook anything delicious this past 4th of July? Let me know in the comments below!